- Case Studies
- Thought Leadership
- Media Center
- Highest Rated
Looking for a Job? Questions to Ask about Your Social Media Profiles
To accelerate the job search process, it’s important to use many job search tools, both online and offline. With the popularity of social media, it is important to use it effectively to help you to find new employment opportunities. With this in mind, there are some questions you can ask yourself to make sure that you get the most from your social media profile, not just during a job search, but ALL the time!
- Do you have a presence on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook? If you do not have a presence on these social media platforms, immediately create a profile for each. Hiring managers and recruiters will search for you, and if they cannot find you, they will automatically think that you have something to hide. At the very least, make sure that you have a LinkedIn profile.
- Do you have the same professional photo on your three profiles? For consistency sake, make sure that you use the same professional photo across all social media platforms so you are easily recognizable and searchers know that it’s you.
- Are your profiles complete, professional and current? Take the time to complete all the fields for each social media platform. LinkedIn makes it easy, and more like a game, because it has a completeness bar.
- In addition to being complete and current, is the summary on your LinkedIn profile accurate, and concise? Review your profile and make sure that your summary is representative of your knowledge, skills and abilities, and what you have to offer. For Twitter, make sure that your bio is interesting.
- Is your LinkedIn profile optimized for search? Make sure that keywords of what you do are sprinkled throughout your profile. If you are uncertain whether your LinkedIn profile satisfies this requirement, choose five to 10 jobs that you are qualified for, then copy and paste the ad using a word cloud service such as Wordle. The larger the words, the more important they are, and those are your keywords to add to your LinkedIn profile.
- Do you have a link to your personal website? Having a personal website gives you the edge when you are looking for a new job, and it helps with your personal branding. It also allows you to demonstrate your authority and thought leadership in your areas of expertise. Workfolio is one service that you can use to create a personal website.
- How often will you update your profile? The frequency of your updates is not as important as being consistent. Sign-up for services such as Buffer and Hootsuite to schedule your updates to LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook. Additionally, sign-up for Evernote, and add the Evernote Clipper browser extension, so that while you are browsing the Internet, if you come across an article that is interesting or would like to share later, clip it so you can easily find it when you are ready.
Take the time to review your social media profiles to make sure that they are professional, current, accurate and relevant. Several social recruiting surveys report that more hiring managers and recruiters are using social media to find job candidates, so if you are not using social media platforms effectively, you can thwart your job search success.
Manage your Right Management Subscriptions
We not only respect your privacy, but we respect your inbox too. We don't want to send you any more emails than you want. YOU control the amount and types of emails you receive from us. Use this page anytime to instantly update your email marketing preferences in real-time.
Please verify your personal information and then let us know how we can communicate with you.
Thank you for signing up!
Watch your inbox for the latest thought leadership from Right Management.