- Case Studies
- Thought Leadership
- Media Center
- Highest Rated
Developing Millennial Leaders: Catching the Shooting Stars
Six ways to ensure your organization is in the best position to attract, retain, and develop Millennial “stars” to fill the right jobs at the right time.
- Offer career security: Demonstrate that staying with the company can lead to career enhancement. Share examples of people who’ve progressed through training and on-the-job learning. Appeal to the Millennial aspiration to be more employable over the long-term.
- Focus on career variety & mobility: Create opportunities for Millennials to work on different projects with different teams to build experience and networks across the organization. Satisfy their appetite for new opportunities and highlight the value of progression and not just promotion to build a portfolio of skills and experiences.
- Have regular career conversations: Check in with Millennials regularly about their career path and development. Rather than annual reviews, focus on near-term objectives and implement plans to achieve them. Use these conversations to connect how their work today will enhance their career prospects and longer term employability.
- Appreciate your Millennials: Maintain a high-touch approach and offer frequent, face-to-face feedback. Find new channels that encourage recognition and sharing from managers and peers. It doesn’t cost anything and is an effective way to engage people in their roles.
- Be ready to ride the career waves: Anticipate breaks for personal reasons and know these go beyond traditional births, honeymoons and even caring for relatives. Recognize that lengthy careers mean time to re-tool and refuel are essential. Be flexible and make breaks an acceptable part of company culture. Be clear what flexibility you can offer and help people re-enter the workforce when they return.
- Be open to alternative work models: Millennials tend to prefer full-time, but many are also open to alternatives like part-time, freelance or portfolio work. Adopt some of the attractive aspects of these models—greater flexibility in where, when and how people work and a greater variety of projects – to better engage and retain Millennial workers.
Manage your Right Management Subscriptions
We not only respect your privacy, but we respect your inbox too. We don't want to send you any more emails than you want. YOU control the amount and types of emails you receive from us. Use this page anytime to instantly update your email marketing preferences in real-time.
Please verify your personal information and then let us know how we can communicate with you.
Thank you for signing up!
Watch your inbox for the latest thought leadership from Right Management.