Considering the Job Offer: It’s About More than Salary
- Looking back on the interactions and interviews with your potential new boss and colleagues – did you like them? Did you respect them? Do you suspect that it will be fun, interesting, and intellectually stimulating to spend extended periods of time with them on project teams, in meetings, or even in airports or taxis? Will you learn from them?
- Do the essential requirements of the job seem to be compatible with your lifestyle outside of work? Do people travel incessantly? Do they offer gym memberships or wellness programs? Are employees able to take time off during “regular” hours for family or personal activities? Are there established flex time, job share, or work from home policies?
- What is the organization’s reputation in the community? Are they good corporate citizens? Do they support volunteerism? Community service days? Do they have policies that support “giving back” locally or beyond? Are employees encouraged to sit on local non-profit boards? Do they do their work in an ethical manner?
- What is the company’s reputation in the industry? Do their vendors, suppliers, and customers seem to like to do business with them? Are they respected by their competitors, win or lose? As former employees have moved on to other opportunities, do they speak well of their time there?
- If you are considering relocation, will the new setting provide for the types of cultural, religious, or recreational activities that you and your family most value?
- Does the business model support your broader career plan? Are professional development activities sponsored? Will you learn new skills, meet new people, and have the opportunity to expand you professional network?
- Is there a consistent and clear reward system in place? Does the organization seem to treat all employees at all levels of the organization fairly and consistently, or is there a different (or secret) set of rules for specific employee groups?
Manage your Right Management Subscriptions
We not only respect your privacy, but we respect your inbox too. We don't want to send you any more emails than you want. YOU control the amount and types of emails you receive from us. Use this page anytime to instantly update your email marketing preferences in real-time.
Please verify your personal information and then let us know how we can communicate with you.
Thank you for signing up!
Watch your inbox for the latest thought leadership from Right Management.